Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back to School



Today is the first day back to school for all the girls. Yahoo! Megan had a half day yesterday at the new school and it seemed to go ok. A small issue with her schedule and limited classes but we've worked it all out to all our satisfaction.


It was strange last night at the elementary open house. I usually sign up for a ton of stuff on the volunteer lists but I'm not exactly sure about committing to things during the day now that I'm working. It felt really bad not to sign up for everything. Emily's teacher this year is Mrs. Baker - or as she's known around here - Aunt Heather. She's our niece, Lauran's, wicked step mother. Yesterday afternoon Heather called me just to quack since we hadn't seen each other all summer. I told her about going back to work. She jokingly asked if I was doing it so I wouldn't have to volunteer in her classroom. Darn! She's on to me! Sarah has Mrs. Osman. She's an unknown entity to me - very unusual for me not to know one of the teachers! Sarah is bummed because she only has one "friend" in the classroom - and it's not Mary Aliza or Sara (the camping buddy). She's not too sure about this teacher, either. Since I don't know her I can't really say anything about her teaching style. I guess this will just have to be one of those "learn to deal with all kinds of people" years for Sarah. Wish us all luck!


Katie is home this morning and enjoying the peace and quiet. I think some of reality will hit her today - as Zane is coming over during his lunch mod. I think it will really drive it home that she is out of high school when he has to go back to class and she doesn't. Poor guys, how stressful a time for them as a couple. Katie & I have talked about how communication will be key for them while they adjust to their new lives. If there is one thing I know about it is a long distance relationship and communication. David & I dated for three years while he was here in Indiana and I was in Cincinnati. And look how well that turned out!


I'm waiting for a maintenance guy to get here so I'm working from home today. Probably should actually be doing something other than blogging....

4 comments:

Diana said...

Tyler had Mrs Osman in 3rd grade and I REALLY liked her and so did he:)
He learned A LOT that year. I think you will be VERY happy!!!
The carnival is in a few months so I will get you to sign up for THAT as it is AFTER work!!!

Anonymous said...

Omg...I had Mrs. Osman at Schmitt. She was my 3rd grade teacher...my teacher the year mom died. I bet Katie did have it sink in today. Just wait....the ton of bricks has yet to hit her. It will when she is overwhelmed on campus, and buying $500 worth of books, and going home to a dorm and not her house. Oh man! she is going to thrive in college...I feel it.

Suzanne said...

I know all the girls will do well and have great years! I think a road trip to IU may be in store ~ we would all pass as 19 year old undergrads wouldn't we?

2 kids...3 martinis said...

"Probably should be doing something other than blogging..."--is there anything else??? :)

Hope all your teachers and transitions go well. Good luck!