Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rugby anyone?



Megan joined the girls rugby team last week. Rugby? Ok - I know NOTHING about rugby. I'm even having a hard time typing it correctly - my fingers want to type it rubgy. So I went to the website they gave us on the paperwork - and I should have been a little more scared about all this when I saw the skull & crossbones on the banner! Megan admitted to the coaches on her first day of practice that she knew nothing about the game but they said 'No problem!'. They would teach her everything she needed to know. I knew this was a very "physical" sport. And if I hadn't already known it I would have had a clear picture of this after Laura called me and told me there was NO WAY she was going to let me let Megan play! It was too rough of a game for her. Trust me, I was worried about that issue, too! But Megan has been kind of lost this year. Part of it was she was without a "team" sport since she decided not to go out for cheerleading freshman year. So I had to back her and let her do it. Well turns out she LOVES it! She is so proud of all the bruises and scraps she comes home with after every practice. I have never seen her so excited about going to practices. She was even excited to tell me that she only puked once on the first day of practice. I guess most of the other girls did it multiple times. I've never known her to practice till she pukes for anything - no less keep going afterward and be thrilled about it. Suzanne has kindly offered to loan me the 'Rugby For Dummies' book she has. After moving to England a few years ago - she had to learn about the sport, too, as her sons became interested in it. It is wonderful to see a spark in Megan's eyes again! Besides - they are blue which goes so nicely with the black, purple, yellow and green of all the bruises. What a colorful child! Lord help me!

2 comments:

Diana said...

You go GIRL!!!
How fun for her:-)
I read the whole thing in the paper yesterday and thought YEAH for Andrew!

Suzanne said...

Just think of the clothes that will match her brusies of pride! She will have a great time.