Thursday, February 5, 2009

Special Moments

Tuesday night, before the girls went to bed, they announced yet another 2 hr delay. Being the smart mom that I am (muhahaha) I didn't tell the girls. I figured they'd be bouncing off the walls and it would take forever for them to calm down and go to sleep. Since I don't want them to wake up in a panic thinking they are late in the morning, I usually wake them gently before I go to bed and tell them about the delay. I'm one of those lucky people whos kids will roll right back over and go back to sleep if I have to wake them in the night.



I gently moved the hair off of Sarah's face and softly whispered that they had the delay. She gave me an angelic smile and told me 'ok'. Then she reached up and caressed my face just like she used to do when she was a little. I instantly flashed back to many a night staring into her adorable little face only to have her awaken and give me a sleepy grin as she tried to stretch her little arm to stroke my face. When my kids were little and couldn't sleep I would soothe them by snugging in and gently stroking their faces. It always calmed them and helped them to get to sleep. Or if they were fitful in their sleep it helped to soothe them.




I wondered it she was truly awake so I asked her what I had just told her. She answered correctly. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and was starting to pull away when rolled to her side and put her arm around me to pull me in closer. Does this kid know how to melt my heart?? I stayed there for a few seconds just breathing her in - - and she never let go. She was cuddling me like one of her stuffed animals. She gave a contented sigh and went back to sleep with her arm still around me.





It's moments like this that I will always treasure. When they are at their most vulnerable and you see what kind of person they really are. Not that she's not loving and caring during her waking hours - - it's just at this age they test their wings and sometimes aren't the most thoughtful with their words or actions. But moments like this are what you have to remember when they are not at their best. I think this one will be one I think back on for years to come to gather strength.

No comments: