Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Happy 5th Birthday, Stephen!


I can't believe it was 5 years ago on this day that I was making a mad dash through a snow storm to Canada to be with Kelly for the birth of her son, Stephen. I missed the actual birth by a few hours - but was still thrilled to be there with them!! Amazing how fast those years have gone. Stephen's birth was the 4th time I was supposed to be with a friend for the birth of their child - and I STILL haven't had the honor of actually being there for the "moment". Claudia's 1st born came on Halloween - and I had been at the hospital all night with her - but had to get home when Katie got home from school. Morgan was born while I was gone! For Claudia's 2nd, Cassidy, I was supposed to be in the O.R. with her for the c-section - but the stupid nurse wouldn't let me in! When it was all over Dr. Albers came out and asked me why I hadn't been in there like we'd planned. He wasn't thrilled with the nurse to say the least! For Claudia's 3rd, Hannah, I drove like a bat out of .... to get to Kansas to be with her. Third time's a charm, right??? Right as I got there they had to wheel her into the OR to possibly do an emergency c-section. Plan was for me to video tape the birth - and I had the camera! Again I couldn't get the nurses to let me in - but FINALLY convinced one of them to at least give Paul the video camera. You know how it is when you use someone else's video camera for the first time?? Add to that the fact that your wife is giving birth....it's kind of a funny video! Let's say it's an "artistic" film. Maybe that's how the whole thing started with so many directors doing those jerky, panning in and out shots that were so popular a few years ago. Paul was ahead of his time!! So maybe I'll be lucky and many, many, many years from now the first child I'll get to see born (and not be the one delivering) will be my grandchild. Again - - - many, many, many years from now!

No comments: